Allen F. Bareford Career Summary
- University of Richmond, Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude 1982 – English/Speech
- T.C. Williams School of Law, University of Richmond, Juris Doctorate, 1985
Admitted to Practice
- Admitted to practice in Virginia in 1985.
- Other courts of admission:
- United States Supreme Court, United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, United States District Court, Eastern District.
- Virginia National Guard – 111th Field Artillery, 1983 to 1985
- United States Army, Judge Advocate General’s Corps
- Active Duty – 1985 to 1990
- Reserve Assignments – 1990 to 2011
- Positions held: Trial Counsel; Administrative Law Officer; Legal Assistance Officer; Appellate Defense Attorney; Chief – International Law; Chief, Legal Assistance; Chief, Military Justice; Senior Appellate Defense Attorney; Deputy Command Judge Advocate; Command Judge Advocate.
- Highest Rank held: Colonel
- Military Education: Judge Advocate Officer Basic Course; Judge Advocate Officer Advanced Course; Combined Arms Services Staff School; Command and General Staff School; Reserve Component National Security Information Seminar and National Defense Strategy Course (Army War College)
- Military Awards and Decorations:
- Legion of Merit
- Meritorious Service Medal (with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters)
- Army Commendation Medal (with 4 Oak Leaf Clusters)
- Joint Service Achievement Medal
- Army Achievement Medal (with 1 Oak Leaf Cluster)
- Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal (with 4 Oak Leaf Clusters)
- National Defense Service Medal
- Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal (with Hourglass Device)
- Army Service Ribbon
- Army Reserve Components Overseas Training Ribbon (with numeral 10)
- Associate Attorney, Spencer, Meyer and Koch, PLC (April 2021 to present)
- Areas of practice – criminal defense and family law.
- Public Defender, Fredericksburg Public Defender’s Office, Fredericksburg, Virginia (July 1990 to April 2021)
- Overall responsibility for supervision of criminal defense services for indigent defendants in four jurisdictions in Virginia. Certified as qualified to be lead counsel for death penalty cases.
- Virginia State Bar – council representative
- Fredericksburg Area Bar Association – past president
- Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – Executive Board, Treasurer
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Rappahannock Regional Community Criminal Justice Board – past Chair and vice-Chair
- Fredericksburg Regional Food Bank – Board member
- Be Well Rappahannock – Board member
- Jazz for Justice – committee member
- Legal Food Frenzy – local committee chair
- Christ Church – Outreach Commission chair
- Christ Church vestry – past member