Relocation, Custody And Other Post-Divorce Issues

After going through a difficult divorce, many people want to make significant life changes; perhaps a new career or a change of scenery. For many, relocating to a new community is an important step in moving forward. However, if young children are involved, custodial parents must notify the noncustodial parent to make adjustments to the visitation schedule.

Visitation Modifications And Other Relocation Issues

For noncustodial parents, moving outside the state is a relatively simple process. For custodial parents, the process may be more complicated. In many cases, a custodial parent looking to relocate must provide a 30-day written notice to the noncustodial parent of the proposed relocation. If the noncustodial parent is opposed to the move, the custodial parent will need to establish that relocating is in the best interests of the child.

At Spencer, Meyer & Koch, PLC, we work with custodial and noncustodial parents looking to protect their parent-child relationships. Perhaps you are the custodial parent and have been offered a job opportunity outside the state. If the new career will afford better opportunities, a raise and other benefits, the courts may look on your relocation proposal favorably. If you are a noncustodial parent opposing the relocation of your children by the custodial parent, we can help make a case that the move will severely disrupt the relationship you have with your child, or that leaving behind family, friends and a familiar school will be difficult for the child.

No matter the circumstances, it’s important to work closely with a lawyer familiar with post-divorce relocation and other custody modifications.

Gather The Facts Before You Act: Call Us And Speak With An Attorney

Before making your relocation arrangements, take a moment and speak with us during a consultation. You can schedule an appointment at our Fredericksburg, Virginia, law office by calling 540-372-4046 or by completing our site’s online contact form.